Sunday, June 17, 2012

Happy Fathers Day, Nate Dawg




Happy fathers day Nate!

I've got some catching up to do. I have a broken femur and had surgery on Monday after not just one but TWO exciting pain filled ambulance rides on sunday night/monday morning. I was in the hospital until Thursday afternoon. It has been a very difficult week here at chez Mangan.  The hero in this story is, of course, Nate. Nate kept me together when I was having panic attacks from the pain I was in. Nate found solutions and friends to watch the kids when all I could do was cry from the pain and do my best to simply breathe. Nate packed bags, and made phone calls, and kept his head when everyone around him (okay, just me) was losing theirs. Nate has picked up the running of the household, meals, cleaning, and everything else, all while continuing to work, visit me in the hospital, keep my spirits up, and encourage me that everything was going to be just fine. 

Nate set up a schedule of full time help for the next month as I am essentially bedridden and cannot drive. Nate is FORCING me to rest, and to do what is best for my body, even though it means more work for him. 

I knew I was marrying a great man. I really didn't know HOW great of a man I was marrying, however. I feel like a lot of people throw around the term "partner" lightly. I've really been thinking a lot about the term lately, as I think that this school experience has allowed me to see and live what it is to have a true "partner" firsthand. It means having someone who considers your needs above their own. It means someone who is always thinking about the greater good of the team, not just the individual. It means sometimes making uncomfortable decisions or choices, or sometimes being painfully honest when a little lie of omission might be the more comfortable way to go. I am so proud of who Nate is. He has taught me to be a better person. He has helped me to become both a better Mother and a better wife. And due to the bizarre nature of this week, I don't even have a card for my poor husband this year for fathers day, but I think that he knows full well that I have never, ever appreciated or loved him more than I do at this moment, right now. I have never been more grateful for his consistency, his sense of humor, his ability to see the big picture, his sense of honor and the way he always wants to make the next right decision.........Nate, I adore you. I hope our kids turn out nothing like me, and just like you. You are a great father, and an amazing husband. You got a great gift this year, and since I blew it on the card, consider this your card :) I love you, bear. Happy fathers day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment