
Strapping in Jake for his second annual 7 fish. About 5 years ago we took this from an extended family event (with my Dad's brothers/wives/my cousins) and it just became our immediate family. We still do the extended family night event, but a week later and as a pig roast. The logistics of planning a sit down meal for way over 30 just became too much as all of the cousins married and started having kids. The pig roast was also a great time, and I loved seeing my kids playing with their cousins at my Uncle Bobby and Aunt Cindys house....just like I grew up doing.

The cousins, 6 kids 4 and under. Samantha, Alyssa, Jake, Luke, Tessa and Julia. What a crew!

I admit to being excessively fond of traditions. I really get emotional and excited about doing things with my kids which I grew up doing and loving as a child. This works out well ~ my kids get very few gifts on Christmas morning, but get a ton of experiences and special events with family and with us over the holidays. Everyone has to find their own balance with this, but for us, this works. Sharing this night with my kids and my parents and my siblings is incredibly emotional for me, it was very literally the favorite night of my childhood, year after year. It has changed, as has the food, but the tradition is still meaningful to me, and I hope that my children are continuing it long after I am gone.
No comments:
Post a Comment