The (admittedly lousy) view out my front door. There are supposed to be steps out there. Alas, they are swallowed up in 2 feet of snow and ice.
Pasta encrusted Luke says "Whaaa? When I open the back door for the first time this evening. He then says "I want to EAT it, Mama! It tastes COLD, Mama!". Boy genius.
The ice encrusted window that I tried to peer in to ensure that no children were on fire. They are too young to remember the "STOP. DROP. ROLL" commercials, so I was..... hysterical....... to minimize my reaction.
I have never seen two bucks hanging out together. These two held a meeting about 15 feet from the back deck. I think that even they were needing commiseration. I picture the two big studs (there were 4 or 5 females in the yard, they just were standing peripheral to the picture) saying "Have you ever seen a night like this?"
The plow, post neighborhood pep rally around the pregnant girls peril.
I generally abhor all societal catch phrases.
"Bracketology!" And the like. This blizzard has been labeled "snowpocalypse" by the press. That generally makes me cringe.
Yet as I paced around the house (which felt like a fishbowl this afternoon) peering out of the windows mumbling "I've never seen anything like this", I believed. For a period of time, as it felt as though my home was sinking into the ground (an illusion courtesy of the snow piling up by the feet right outside of the doors and windows), I witnessed "snowpocalypse".
This morning was a a melange of TV watching and fevered organizing. This afternoon, a tragedy/comedy.
Nate is stuck in Boston. The power went out. The snowplow that was coming to free/save us slid off the driveway and into a ditch, on it's side. I ran to "help" it. It was flat stuck. Needed a chain. Could not even find the path to the neighbors front door in the thigh high snow to ask for a chain. Ran back to my house while calling the neighbors. The kids had locked me out of the house. Accidentally. I mean, I think accidentally ~ I don't think that they are yet smart enough to intentionally do so, yet perhaps I am underestimating them. Candles were lit. Mentally pictured 4th of July and my children turning into roman candles inside of my locked house. Freaked a little more. Didn't breathe much. Screamed/cajoled/pleaded for them to play with the door.
THEY OPENED IT. Relief.
Truck stuck. Consortium of neighbors. Snow blower parade, shovels, blankets, a tiny dose of panic in the whiteout conditions and wind, and ultimately freedom for the plow. Me running up and down the driveway trying to show them how not to fall off of it. Dad called right after I got in the house ~ He had to listen to my post panic meltdown/hyperventilation.
Dinner made. Kids to bed. Several giddy weirded out post adrenalin phone calls.
The power is back on. The kids are asleep. My husband is stuck, but my neighbors are just awesome. My body is warm and fed. My stomach hurts though at this point I am not sure if it is from the panic or from the laughing.
What a freaking storm. I have honestly never seen anything like today. Pretty awesome. Mother Nature, for the win.
Only you :) Sorry you had such a day. glad everything is good now and you are safe and sound!
ReplyDeleteThey locked you out of the house? Still LOL! Glad all is well!
ReplyDeleteYou poor thing -- I had no idea!!!
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear you are inside and safe with the kids now. (brilliant of them to figure out how to lock you out - then let you back in.)
this reads like a comedic screenplay...i think i'd have jessica alba play you...
ReplyDelete