So Jules went to the ENT today. She has had recurrent ear issues, not infections per say, just constant drainage, frequently including blood lately. Nothing quite like bright red blood coming out of your child's ear to get ones attention. I took her, while Nate stayed home with Luke. I had no idea what to expect. We went because they Pedi was not able to see if the tubes were still in place due to all of the gunk in there.
We got there, and of course Julia was all sunshine and light. Sitting on my lap and singing me songs and tickling me and laughing. I just had this sense of dread that something unpleasant was in our future.
Sure enough, after a look, the ENT declared the need for suctioning. You can guess what that means. Off to the surgery room with the "Baby Board". The baby board is a nice sounding name for a straight jacket. A variation of a swaddle, but this one is industrial strength. My sweet girl was wrapped up like a burrito of torture, and I was forced to stare into her eyes while they suctioned out one ear after the other. She cried so hard her lips shook and snot ran down her face and I could see her pointing her little toes in frustration/pain. I cried right along with her. To have her staring at me, unable to move her arms or legs, but literally PLEADING with me with her eyes was torture. It makes me cry again just writing about it. Snot and tears were running down her face, tears streaming down my face, and all in all we were a hot mess. Luckily the procedure was relatively quick, but MAN do I not want a repeat session. The idea of my daughter not knowing what is going on or why, and not being able to explain it to her, just makes my gut clench. This love thing is so painful.
In happy news, the tubes are in place and hopefully the cleaning should help.
We are excited to welcome Santa into town tonight, then off to share breakfast with him in the morning. Tree cutting after that, and home to decorate. Leaving for DC with the kids on Sunday to see some friends and hit a 'Nova game. Its getting cold and presents keep showing up at the door and Christmas is really here! Happy December, and I pray that none of you Mama's out there ever have cause to see your wee one restrained. I'm still recovering and its been 3 hours.
HUGS! Melis, it's so hard to be a mom sometimes. That baby board is awful and I don't wish that experience on anyone.
ReplyDeleteBoth of my boys have had to have stitches, but my older son had to be restrained with the "burrito" (he HATES shots and anything resembling a needle) He was 7, but it was still torture on us both, leaving us in tears. Poor Jules being so young :-( Hugs to you both! Jen Kensinger
ReplyDeletemelis, the SAME thing happened to will..straitjacket and all. it is one of my most horrible memories...in his case, a little glob of blood clogged the tube and it took FOREVER for them to dig it out. AWFUL. i am sick thinking about it. i am so so sad jules went through it!!!!thankfully they shouldn't remember.. and i can't see the video below!
ReplyDeleteOh... that almost made me cry just reading about it. Gabe had to held by his daddy and the dr. while a second dr. superglued his face a while back. That was no fun... I can't imagine him being put in an actual jacket. HUGS! I hope her ears clear up! Wen
ReplyDeletePoor both of you! I have to hold K down for lab draws and it also makes me teary every time. Hope her ears stop giving you guys worries.
ReplyDeleteI am crying just thinking about it. You are a brave Mommy! Can't wait to see you guys.
ReplyDelete